At the development site in Jülich, Alvotech focuses on cell line, process and analytical assay development for its biosimilar pipeline. You will take responsibility in establishing, expanding and leading a new, independent group within Alvotech, the chemically defined media group. During that set-up phase you will benefit from the current staff and equipment within the early upstream development team on site in Jülich. Consequently, there will be a very close interaction with all members of the early process development team, currently consisting of about 8 people. The main area of work will be to establish the concept of how to develop chemically defined media and feed solutions with a competitive cost profile that result in high quality biosimilars within Alvotech’s product pipeline. Design and execution of experiments to explore the use of different media/feed components and combinations in a DoE-like manner will be a main assignment in the beginning. You will be expected to publish the work in peer-reviewed journals and be able to work closely with our IP department to submit your findings as part of patent applications.
Most important tasks of the job:
- Establishment and execution of a media/feed development strategy
- Establishment, expansion and leadership of the media development team
- Design and execution of media/feed screenings using DoE
- Cell culture process development using a variety of mammalian cell lines, with an emphasis media/feed optimization
- Scientific leadership including participation in international scientific forums and authoring of scientific publications and/or patents in the field
- Awareness of intellectual property concerns with commonly used media and feed components
You will establish your own independent group but benefit initially from the established framework of the early upstream development team in Jülich. You will report directly to the Vice President of early development at Alvotech, who is also located in Jülich. Additional leadership and guidance will be offered by the Senior Vice President Technical Operations at Alvotech (located in Reykjavik).
- D (or equivalent) in Biological Sciences (biology, biochemistry), Chemical Engineering or Biotechnology with more than 10 years of experience in cell culture process development of monoclonal antibodies, therapeutic proteins and/or vaccine-based products
- Experience with development of chemically defined media and feed solutions
- Experience with scale-up and technical process transfer (USP)
- Deep scientific understanding of impact of process changes on protein quality
- Experience in high throughput screening and application of DoE and QbD principles using from small to large bioreactor scales
- Broad scientific knowledge, „out-of-the-box“-thinking, proven trouble-shooting skills
- Engaging personality, very organized work style
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Very good command of English is a must, German is highly beneficial
- Extensive leadership experience of lab personell
What we offer:
At Alvotech we offer the oppourtunity for personal development and growth (both scientifically and with regards to leadership/management) in an international company as we encourage employees in bringing forward ideas and tak part in leading change.
Please send your complete curriculum vitae in English, including references, important certificates your salary expectations and your earliest possible starting date (all in one pdf document) by applying online to Alvotech Germany GmbH Human Resources:
For enquiries or questions about the position, please contact Iris Landen at firstname.lastname@example.org